Old 07-02-10, 12:02 PM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would help if you tell us the name and the model of the tires (Ok, I see someone else has done this for you, is he correct about what you have?). The tire manufacturer's web site may have a range of recommended pressures. You can inflate tires according to the recommendations of Frank Berto who measured tire flattening or drop with various tire loads. If you inflate your tires to have 15% change in height from no load to the load you, your bike, and any gear you carry present it you supposedly optimize the trade off between comfort and rolling resistance. Above this pressure you have little decrease in resistance but a significant decrease in comfort. Or so the theory goes. I have been using it myself this year and I think it is a good way to operate. It gives a nice improvement in shock absorbing and no noticeable loss of speed. Probably with careful measurement using scientific instruments I don't own and can't afford you could measure a slight loss of speed.

The Berto pressure versus load curve varies with tire width, you say yours are 47 mm so I generated a curve for that width, attached below. As someone else said you don't want to go far, if any, below the tire maker's recommended minimum pressure or you risk pinch flats so if the Berto chart puts you in that region start at the minimum the maker suggests and move down from there cautiously and only if the tire is still too stiff for your comfort. The curve is based on the load on each tire, not the total weight of the bike, you, and your gear. As a rule of thumb a touring bike with front panniers will run 45% of the total weight on the front wheel and 55% of the total on the rear wheel. A racing bike carrying no load, typically, is about 40% front, 60% rear. And a typical commuter bike with a load only on a rear rack is about 35% front, 65% rear. So you can see that the front tire should run at least a little less than the rear.

I'd not worry too much about the saddle right now. Maybe I am unusually tolerant but every saddle I have ever ridden has caused me distress at first. After a few weeks it goes away, for me anyway, and never returns. It's worth toughing it out for a while in my opinion.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BertoPressure47m .jpg (53.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by khutch; 07-02-10 at 12:13 PM.