View Single Post
Old 07-08-10, 05:08 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I have been fabricating for thirty years as a profession and find that in general and almost as a rule, chinese parts and materials are junk. I never buy that stuff if there is a choice. It's a dead-end street. Material has gone down in quality drastically. Sanding belts last 30% as long as they used to and American, Japanese and European manufacturers have been forced to reduce quality to stay in business. Overall, the trend in my career has seen a massive reduction in consumer base due to unemployment and financial stress caused by paying interest and service charges.

Often, I am asked to repair chinese products. The only time I say yes is when it's for a kid with a "bike like object" who wants to ride. I make up for lost business overall by using barter directly with producers of goods I need as often as I can. I think as soon as all the manufacturing machines are scrapped and heirloom skills are lost we will see a huge inflation on import prices.

There was recently a post in the general forum regarding cheap re-pop parts and as I remember only one respondent figured out that re-pops lower the value of our inventories on collected parts. The vast majority didn't feel that way. the icon of "consumer" needs to be an insult as it was in the 40's before we will see things improve for the craftsman.