Old 04-28-05, 09:57 AM
jbaars

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
accident/collision with bus in Seattle: help!

I'm a newbie..... Last Friday at evening rush hour I was riding in Seattle, northbound on 15th Ave NE, uphill, maybe going 5-6mph. I was on the far right side near the curb, and 15th Ave is a 4 lane road and has quite a bit of traffic and LOTS of buses. A northbound double length Community Transit bus going maybe 15-20mph passed me, attempting to give me some room but didn't give me enough-- my elbow was hit by the back end of the bus which pulled me off my bike and into the side of the bus. The next thing I remember I'm lying on the sidewalk with my feet in the street, bicycle on the side of the road. I'm ok though, thankfully, and only suffered bruises and scrapes along the left side of my body (a huge bruise on my lower back). I did require an ambulence trip to the ER for xrays and I checked out ok. Still plenty sore though...

So my issue: I was not able to get any eye witness info on the accident as I was in shock and later strapped to a board by the EMTs. The bus company's insurance guy is saying there's no proof I was hit by the bus (!) and that they may not pay for my medical bills. I'm actually insured so this only means a couple hundred + bucks deductables to me, but on principle (and for the couple hundred bucks!) they really should be accountable for this. What can I do?