Old 07-09-10, 12:11 AM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The View From My Saddle...July 2nd - 8th, 2010

The following is a brief summary of some of the high points that I recall from my July cycling rides. I only hope that this doesn’t come across as being some kind of a journal as that most certainly is not my intent. I’ll not intentionally be making mention of how far or how fast I rode or didn’t ride as that info serves no purpose in this particular photo-ride report.

July 2nd and I just got off the night shift. June’s rains are but a faint memory as the skies are clear and blue. I’m hoping to get several rides in this month and if they’re all like today’s was it will be a great month.

I rode the Volae Tour today intending to just spend a few hours out puttering about. After wandering about some housing tracts in the older section of Greece, NY. I headed over to the cemetery. It’s quite large and very, very peaceful. Being an old established cemetery it’s more like a park than anything else. The ride was going just as I had hoped for, slow and aimless and just kinda wandering about.

I have the great good fortune of living very close to the Genesee River and Lake Ontario, so I generally incorporate them into all my rides. Today was no exception. I was almost the only person on the River Trail this morning.

Here’s our Coast Guard patrolling up the river....

Of course the river flows into the lake and we have a nice park and pier just a mile or so from my house. You just have to include them in a slow and easy ride day! While crawling out along the pier at about 4 mph I passed by a family of four…Mom, Dad, Junior (about 4 yrs. old and walking), and a baby in a stroller. Dad had seen me coming and was pointing me and my funny looking bike out to Junior. I don’t know why, maybe the Devil made me do it but I just had to mess with this poor kids mind a little bit. As soon as he turned to look at me I started bobbing my head and snoring out loud while slowly pedaling past. The poor little guy bought it hook, line, and sinker. I thought his father was going to fall off the pier laughing. All I could hear was the little guy exclaiming to his folks “Did you see that guy? He was sleeping and riding his bike! How can he do that?”

Seven miles west of the Beach is Braddock Bay Park. The ride takes me between Lake Ontario and several small to medium sized ponds along a residential street lined with majestic homes surrounded buy beautiful gardens. As nice as all that is it can’t hold a candle up to Mother Nature. Here’s a reflective picture looking south across Buck Pond…

Part way into this ride I came upon fellow Forum member Gyro. We rode together for the rest of the day, well until mid afternoon any way. It was great to have someone to share the peaceful experience with and Gyro shares my love of the natural and man made beauty of our little corner of this world. Thank You Gyro for a memorable day!

July 3rd.

Meet Fred! Fred and I have been riding together for just over a week now. He prefers the Tour Easy and always rides up in the bow (nautical speak for front).

Recently, when traveling with Fred I’ve flown the Jolly Roger at the stern but this being July the 3rd. I opted for the good old Stars & Stripes this time out.

Fred and I had quite a nice ride and of course we again found ourselves down at the beach. Go figure! Saturdays are special at the beach as the Volleyball leagues are active and there’s always a D.J. and lots of folks milling about.

And for the ladies…..

Now as I was taking a little break and having a cool drink (Gatorade), I looked up and spied this cloud formation. Tell me, am I the only person who sees Pegasus traveling across the sky from left to right?

I suspect the ‘Vision’ may have been induced by some of the thousands of ghosts riding this 1903 Dentzel Carousal, some of who I knew personally and shared rides with.

A carousal this old has so many memories, especially since I grew up here. I can remember riding it as a small child and seeing my Dad grab the Brass Ring. I can remember riding it with my bride back when we were way younger than now. But mostly when I watch and listen to that whirling menagerie I can almost see my young wife and our small children gleefully bobbing up and down way back when, each riding their favorite merry go round animal. I always get a bit melancholy when I stop to watch and listen to that beauty spinning proudly and majestically in circles. Sigh. It’s always one of my stops when I ride through the park.

July 4th.

It’s great to have Sunday off occasionally as that means I can join the fellers for ‘Hellbent for Breakfast’. Being a holiday we had a small turnout today, just six riders.

It’s a nice 20 mile out and back along the canal, a great way to start the day.

cont.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 07-09-10 at 12:46 AM.