CarynLea
Just a Girl

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emily2010
I know there have been other similar posts, so apologies in advance for any redundancies! I couldn't quite find an answer for my question:

We are newer to bike riding and would like to take our 3.5 year old along with us. He has some developmental delays and will sit on his own bike (with training wheels) but hasn't attempted to learn to pedal--it will be awhile.

We are trying to decide between a bike seat (something like the bobike maxi) and a trail-a-bike. I think we have ruled out a trailer--we (my husband and I) run a lot and our son is completely fed up with sitting in the jogging stroller (doesn't like just sitting in it anymore), I think a trailer is similar enough that it will just be a waste of money since I am betting he won't sit in it very long. Although I would greatly prefer a trailer, seems safer...

So a rear seat (which I think our son might like, since he would be on the bike and feel more a part of the action) seems like it would be feel unbalanced since we are newer riders (our son is about 30 pounds), but I am worried with a trail-a-bike that our son will tip over or not be able to balance. I know I can buy a back seat attachment for the Adams so he can strap in, but is a good sense of balance required to stay upright on a trail-a-bike?

Any suggestions for what might be best to try?
You mention that he's ******** and therefor I would really recommend the trailer. If he's too fussy or figity you may have to improvise some sort of seatbelt / harness. You seem concerned that he may lose his balance and fall off if he's seated upright on a seat is more reason to go with a trailer, preferably something fully enclosed.