genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
Sometimes a solid description of cyclists' roadway rights is necessary to properly frame the issue of infrastructure improvements even when promoting them. Too many motoring interests involved in transportation issues will seize on the opportunity to use bicycle-specific facilities as a means to cast "plain" streets as car-only places where no cyclists should be, through either exaggerated claims of danger or groupthink.

Even when promoting greenway MUPS, wide lanes, shoulders, bike lanes, bike boulevards, and such, care must be taken to describe these facilities as supplementing use of the existing roadways, for the purpose of reducing social friction, improving cyclists comfort, improving convenience, etc.

Note that it's not just motoring interests who are tempted to treat bikeways as the only legitimate infrastructure for bicycling. Those planning and engineering firms (and even some government departments) that specialize in bicycle-specific engineering will sometimes try to get their product defined as THE system for bicycle transportation, in order to maximize their funding. Some cities have equated their bicycle plan to their greenway plan, with no consideration of on-roadway cycling.

If cyclists want money to be spent on education, enforcement, and maintenance issues related to use of the existing streets, and see all streets become better places for cycling, they should start with a comprehensive approach that treats them as entitled to use those streets.
Indeed you are right... I was slipping down the slippery slope there for a second... the "problems" tend to occur when either side, strictly VC or P&P tend to think in absolutes. Cycling is NOT a black and white issue, as a sport, as transportation or as just a form of exercise... there are shades of gray all over that must be acknowledged.

Oddly I was forgetting the very shades of gray I typically use when I bike... using both well designed paths and riding very vehicularly on the roadways...

Admittedly though the P&P crowd rarely acts in an obstructionist manner, unlike some of the stricter VC crowd, who at times have even announced here on BF that "no bike lane are good, either past, present, or future." (that is slightly paraphrased... but I believe it is an accurate representation of the feelings that have been expressed by some.)

I think we all have to bend a bit... And work together to promote cycling as a whole for all the good it can be, for all that may desire to bike.