View Single Post
Old 07-12-10, 02:42 PM
Danthesoundman
Moto Psycho

Bikes: Kona Unit 2-9 ~ Black Sheep Ti Fork ~ XTR hydrolic discs §§§ KHS Solo One SE ~ Haro Mary Steel Fork ~ Avid mech discs §§§ Kona Smoke 2-9 ~ Kona P2 Fork ~ XTR grouped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Val
Danthesoundman: squeaking such as you describe is certainly NOT normal for this hub - mine never did that, and I've been riding it hard for over two years. Who told you it was "normal"? Some drag is, actually, normal, but it should not be extreme after the first 100 miles or so. I have spoken with the folks at Fallbrook (parent company) several times, and they have always been quite helpful. If you haven't called them, it could be worth a try.
I've been talking with NuVinci Tech Support here: http://nuvinci.informe.com/forum/pos...squeaking#p929

Also, it briefly mentions the squeaking issue in the manual - here's a capture of that:

The squeaking begins after about 10 minutes or so into the ride, after it's warmed up... I've listened with a stethoscope and have determined it's definitely coming from the NuVinci. This is my ONLY complaint, really. I don't mind the weight, and I do enjoy the seamless adjustment of gear ratios.

If yours never squeaked, then maybe mine is a warranty issue. I guess I should try calling them. (Happen to have the number? Or a link to where I could find it?)

It's really obnoxious and loud. It's embarrassing, like I don't know how to maintain a drivetrain, and I take pride in my maintenance skills.

Thanks for the feedback, Val. If I can remedy this squeaking, I'm sure I will enjoy many years of service, otherwise, I'm tempted to call it a loss and toss this thing.