View Single Post
Old 07-12-10, 05:02 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
what is so brutal about a 42/53? most of my bikes are so equipped with a 12-21 or 23. I find it very comforatble here in So Jersey and when I lived south of Boston. if I lived in the mountains of Ontario it might be a different case. I did find myself riding a race course in Putney Vt once on a 42/52 with a 12-19 that I would call brutal!

as for what my nouvo vintage bikes 'net' me? JOY! I love bing out on a sunny day enjoying my beautiful classic rides, although I do try and workout too.

I was remarking to my daughter the other day about how Harley riders always have a sour look on their face but I ride along grining like fool on my Bianchis
It really depends on how many hours a week you ride, I remember in one race, I had to realize that I could not shift up to the big ring, I was already there, and we were climbing... those were the days. Now, a 26 helps where a 21 used to be enough.

But I do agree, 53/42 will be hard to let go of. Maybe I will just go back to my junior gear ratios, 44 x 14 top. 84.9 inches, just SPIN baby.