Old 07-13-10, 02:55 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bike path etiquette?

Hey all, just started riding for the first time (haven't had a bike for nearly 20 years) and I've been enjoying the SART quite a bit this past week. I have some questions about etiquette of the path, or other similar trail situations.

1) Do I really need to call out "on your left" for everybody I pass? When I'm really peddling I'm concentrating on breathing and pushing, and having to yell out at people would get old and probably affect my pace if I needed to do it for everybody passed.

2) When somebody on a road bike is slowly passing me, do I need to slow and let them pass? It took some guys nearly 90 seconds to pass me the other day, and while nobody was on incoming lanes, I wasnt sure if I was supposed to slow down for them. I ended up overtaking them just a few miles further along, but made sure to pass them quickly so we didnt have another 1-2 minute side by side ride. Aren't you supposed to 'burst' past people, or do road bike guys try to keep a steady pace no matter what?

3) Headphones...I see everybody doing it from road bike dudes in full get-up to teens on cruisers. What is the consensus on this?