View Single Post
Old 07-15-10, 11:21 AM
chi-james

Bikes: team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parksung
unfortunately, i'm in Vancouver, CA where single speeds (good ones) start at CAD650. but i could probably get CAD200 for my Miyata. because of the age of the bike, i'm told the switching out of parts may be tricky, therefore driving the cost up. i'll take it to a bike shop and get an estimate since i know which gear i want.
switching out parts on your miyata will not be hard... not only because, as I noted above, that there really are no parts to switch out, but also, because there is nothing unusual about the dimensions of that particular model. Mass produced, with standard shimano parts. You only need to get an adapter if you want to use stems for threadless headsets. I think your best option is to just order a new wheel-set (100-150$ usd), just make sure that the axle can span the dropouts appropriately (probably 130mm). The 610 is a decent frame and if you're already comfortable on it, you won't be able to buy another bike of equivalent quality within your budget.