View Single Post
Old 07-15-10, 07:00 PM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have toured with panniers and alternatively with a BoB trailer on both road and hard MTB trails.

With panniers on a folder the load sits quite low and the handling IMHO is very good, and as smaller wheels are stronger they tend to carry the load better than 700c in terms of broken spokes etc. Well, that's what I've found and I only use SS spokes x36/32.

With the BoB single wheel trailer it takes a bit to get used to the "feel", but the benefits are having it behind you and being more aerodynamic than panniers is hard to beat. Downside is, hard to park if you don't have a kickstand.
Using your 2 wheel BF trailer is a different story, but it will be wider, more strain on the frame as it has one only connection point and despite what some might say it doesn't handle as well as a single wheel trailer. Upside is, when you arrive at your accommodation you simply unhitch the trailer and go for a ride to the cafe.

My advice is to try both before you go on your trip, give both some serious testing, then decide.