Old 07-15-10, 08:51 PM
seejohnbike
Disgruntled Grad Student

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cross Pro, Cross Comp, TK2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for tire durability for skidding, it matters way more what brand/model of tire than what size tire you put on your bike. also, when it comes to puncture flats, its the type of tire that makes the difference, not the size.

beyond that, larger size tires are better for heavier riders, larger loads, and (i think) better at protecting against pinch flats and such. there's also supposed handling characteristics (thinner tires are more nimble) but i've only ridden on 23s, so i can't really comment.

supposedly thinner/skinnier tires have less rolling resistance, but again, i haven't ridden larger tires so idk.

also, from a physics standpoint, i'm a bit miffed. what i was always taught was that it's the mass of the object that causes the friction, and contact surface area is negligible. (either greater pressure on a small area, or small pressure over a larger area, the resulting frictional force should still be the same)

i can say that different tire compounds will have different frictional constants, so reports that different brands of tires have better/worse rolling resistance is certainly rooted in science, based on what kind of rubber they use.

(also, i like parenthesis.)