View Single Post
Old 07-16-10, 01:20 PM
lucille

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for responses! It's great to hear different opinions to help make up one's mind. I really appreciate you taking the time. :-)

stevegor, very glad to hear this. I found that my hybrid got a lot more stable when I put the front panniers on.

fietsbob, good point! I did think of it, and we're looking for thin, easy to fold bags that would fit all of our panniers for transport. We'll be taking some trains, so can't have too many packages.

prathmann, for this particular trip, we're doing a loop, but yes being able to fly to one place and fly out of another one is great! Good to hear the handling was with the trailer was good. Very helpful post, thank you.

HK 45, As invisiblehand said, I have a NWT, which was built to support my weight and about 30-40 lbs of gear. Don't think I would be able to carry more than 40 lbs of gear, but either way I'd be easily within the weight limit.
Thanks for the links, but the only kind of trailer that's a consideration for this trip would be the Bike Friday one that would convert our suitcase/flight case into a trailer. I can't possibly transport yet another piece of luggage (times two) on the plane.

gdlerner, wow! very impressive! You're right, we don't need to carry so much food and water, so panniers should be enough.

Good points, Vik. Most airlines do charge for a second piece of luggage now, ends up being the same as being charged for the actual bicycle. :-( BTW, Westjet still allows for two pieces.
I'm hoping that it won't be too difficult to find a hotel that won't mind storing the suitcases. Sending emails now.

wahoonc, suitcases and trailers are on sale at BF now! Make sure to get the packing supplies, well worth the money. http://store.bikefriday.com/index.php?cPath=46

The more I think about it, and after reading your responses, I realize that the only reason we would want to use the trailer is not to have to store the suitcases at the hotel. We need the suitcases to safely fly with the bikes, but I think we both prefer riding with panniers.
We won't have a lot of luggage, won't be camping or riding in wilderness (although as we have already experienced, good luck buying any food or water in the French countryside on Sunday!). I'm sure we won't have problems filling the four panniers , but want to be as minimal as possible. Which is where most of you recommend panniers.

Thanks again, everyone! It's great to hear your thoughts. I think I will order those panniers now...

Now... which colour.... hmmmmm

(just kidding!)