View Single Post
Old 07-16-10, 05:04 PM
HK 45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very informative post Jur should help me out a lot for seeing what to pack which is probably the #1 thing that is giving me a headache.

Originally Posted by lucille
HK 45, As invisiblehand said, I have a NWT, which was built to support my weight and about 30-40 lbs of gear. Don't think I would be able to carry more than 40 lbs of gear, but either way I'd be easily within the weight limit.
Thanks for the links, but the only kind of trailer that's a consideration for this trip would be the Bike Friday one that would convert our suitcase/flight case into a trailer. I can't possibly transport yet another piece of luggage (times two) on the plane.

The more I think about it, and after reading your responses, I realize that the only reason we would want to use the trailer is not to have to store the suitcases at the hotel. We need the suitcases to safely fly with the bikes, but I think we both prefer riding with panniers.
We won't have a lot of luggage, won't be camping or riding in wilderness (although as we have already experienced, good luck buying any food or water in the French countryside on Sunday!). I'm sure we won't have problems filling the four panniers , but want to be as minimal as possible. Which is where most of you recommend panniers.

Thanks again, everyone! It's great to hear your thoughts. I think I will order those panniers now...

Now... which colour.... hmmmmm

(just kidding!)
weird I always thought the weight was total, but that there was an upgrade to make it stronger.
http://community.bikefriday.com/faq?...1703&x=13&y=10

hehe now you got me looking at those BF models and wondering if I should buy one, but the thought of it being damaged by those gorillas at the airport or worse stolen always stops me from buying one.

I thought about buying a trailer, but I figure for the price of the trailer I could upgrade my current wheels, brakes and maybe something else. Then transfer my old parts to my DIY trailer and have some spare parts I can transfer to my bike in case anything happens. Only thing that attracts me about buying the trailer is if I could get it in France just so I wouldn't have to deal with the airlines.

If you can fly BA alone it's much better than having to go through AA. They let you carry the bike in a box as your free checked luggage as long as it meets these dimensions 75in x 29.5in x 25.5in

One of the links I gave you has a person that did it and later dumped the box hopping he could get another from a local Bike shop.
Originally Posted by lucille
You know, when we flew with our bikes couple of weeks ago, NWT in a suitcase, with tools and empty water bottle, it was 52 lbs. They said it was OK, but may get charged next time! It would have been a $50 charge. I think I will have to take tools and pedals to the regular luggage.
So yes, the trailer stuff would have to be separate, I'm afraid.
Yeah that always worries me which is why I think I'll take an extra suitcase with me just for the trailer and some extra gear. My bike is 27lbs, 9lbs at best for suitcase and you can see I've got about maybe 10 pounds of play there. I doubt they'd let me take tools or other camping gear on my carry on, so a second suitcase it is for me.

Last edited by HK 45; 07-16-10 at 05:10 PM.