Old 07-18-10, 08:31 PM
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
You do understand we're talking about the wide open spaces, right? At least in the examples I'm talking about, these are counties where roads used to be paved so farmers could get their crops to market in bad weather, or families could take their kids to school in the middle of winter when the roads had mud that was 3 feet deep. Over the years, farms have gotten larger; population in some rural counties have dropped; and folks have moved to small towns or gradually migrated over closer to the highways and interstates. Populations are declining as you move away from medium-sized cities. Consequently, there is no longer taxpayer support to pay to pave roads that are lightly trafficked and/or running to very underpopulated areas.

They're not worried about bicycle infrastructure; they're worried about having enough families to support a school.
I was making a general comment. All over North America we spend an obscene amount of money maintaining our streets and highways, incredible amounts of money. If we all collectively spent less on roads and more on things like mass transit or bicycle infrastructure I wonder how things would be different. From neighborhoods in rural Texas to 5th Ave in New York, roads cost taxpayers money, lots of it.

The reign of the automoble coming to an end.

Last edited by Saddle Up; 07-18-10 at 08:39 PM.