pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
rear v-brakes hitting leg

until fairly recently, I'd not used v-brakes on anything... my old road bikes all had campy sidepulls, my vintage mountain bike had shimano deore cantis, and my newer mountain bike has disks... My old cruiser I've had for 30+ years had a sturmey-archer drum rear brake and a diacompe sidepull front, something I was never real happy with... So, I added V-brakes to the old cruiser bike via brazing on the posts, and they worked great. I was a convert.

Then that old funky cruiser frame cracked at the too-thin seat tube, so I built up another pseudo-cruiser using a small hybrid frame,

then decided it was too small and transplanted everything onto this larger hybrid frame

on both these last two bikes, the noodle sticking out of the left side of the rear v-brake touches my thigh when that side is fully extended. rather annoying. if I lower the seat a little so my leg doesn't fully extend, it goes away but then I don't get full leg extension.

now, this 2nd frame came with cheap shimano cantis, I suppose I could go back to them, but I really like the smooth easy power of linear pull aka 'v' brakes. is this just an issue with the frame geometry and the somewhat short seat stays on these two frames, and there's nothing I can do about it?

Last edited by pierce; 07-20-10 at 10:32 AM. Reason: changed 'right side' to 'left side', I always get left right and right wrong. :-/