Old 07-22-10, 02:23 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
The trend is fading. As with all trends that begin in major cities, they die first there, too.

Urban cycling will always be around. I think people are just getting hip to the fact that a track bikes do not make the best city bikes. They never did.
Originally Posted by MysticRats
Ill have to disagree with Carleton.
Singlefree and fixed gear bikes will always be the best URBAN velo.
I like having a fixed gear in Sacramento traffic because I feel like I have more control over my speed especially when going slow. But I also like having good brakes for going fast and using reverse power mashing to stop has always made as much sense as going from 65 to zero using only my clutch and transmission.

Originally Posted by cc700
seattle is like this as well. old road bikes, newer road bikes with used parts, and mountain bikes with slicks are highly prevalent. what has not been mentioned is cyclocross bikes. for every one of the aforementioned types of bikes, i see one tricked out cyclocross bike with fenders and slicks.
In SF I saw more than one Surly Long Haul Trucker and other touring setups. Nothing beats a cyclocross bike for tough urban riding in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Dr. Banzai
Vancouver Metro is just full of old $hitty craigslist nishikis and apollos. Once in a while you'll see something with a skinny tire. No "scene" if you'd call it that. Right DT even the messengers don't usually ride fixed like they do in Calgary. Vancouver is a fat tire city.
Actually that would mean fat tire is the scene in Vancouver as it is in Sacramento. Probably for the same reason - good offroad riding very nearby.

And on a related note: Somebody from NY please explain the rusted Miyata 10 speed somebody at the Brooklyn Flea wanted $240 for. The bike didn't cost near that much new and would go for half that out here.