Old 07-22-10, 09:01 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
By the way, I never had heard the term "sportive" before, not something normally used here in my area. So I looked it up, definition below for the rest of y'all that didn't know what it was, either, and didn't bother looking it up. It sounds like something in between the charity rides and randonneuring events here in the US.

"What is Cyclo Sportive?
"Cyclo Sportives (spelt in several variants e.g. cyclo sportifs) are long distance, organised, mass participation cycling ‘events’ - not races - typically held annually. Sportives challenge participants to complete a set course, usually between 100 and 200km, within a time constraint. Organisers typically offer two distance choices and will provide support with supervising marshals and food and/or water stations which will be heartily welcomed by entrants.
"Sportives are the cycling cousin of running’s marathon. As with the 26 mile event, rather than racing other participants, sportives see cyclists challenge themselves in a personal battle against the distance and then ultimately, the clock. The already lengthy course will traditionally include climbs and difficult riding conditions, adding to the kudos of the event (e.g. the cobblestones of the Paris-Roubaix)."

Last edited by StephenH; 07-22-10 at 09:04 PM.