Polar Foil
Lio Fralop

Bikes: '95 Klein Attitude w/XT & '05 Klein Aura w/Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkey Face
I'm doing a local sportive in 10 days time (my first), but have not decided whether to do the 50 or 100 mile route. I know I can do 50 no problem and although I've never done 100 I'm confident I can do it.
Originally Posted by Monkey Face
Thanks folks. I had about 6.5 hrs in mind - thinking I'll probably average about 15mph on a hilly (possibly windy) course. For a first century, I guess I should simply ensure that I go the distance - physically and mentally - rather than setting any particular time goals. Like a previous post says, if I do another one, maybe that's the time to set different goals.
"never done 100" and "confident I can do it" don't belong in the same sentence. 100 miles is twice as far as it sounds like you've ever ridden in one go. I was unable to complete my first century after never having ridden more than 50 miles before due to having to take a wicked dump and being unwilling to do it in a porta potty. So my point is, **** happens. Literally. Not that I'm trying to discourage you from registering for the 100 mile route...

But another thing you should keep in mind is although while sitting in front of your PC a 15mph pace sounds easy enough, it's different once you've been on the saddle and in the heat (or rain...) for 50 miles. Check with the ride officials about whether & when they will start taking down route markers and/or when the volunteers will be calling it quits. You don't want to only make it 75 miles and suddenly have no more signs or volunteers telling you where to turn, and no more oases with water, bananas or porta potties.

Last edited by Polar Foil; 07-23-10 at 12:32 PM.