Old 07-23-10, 01:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Look on Craigslist; I picked up a pair of shoes with "training wheel" cleats ( three motions unhook you instead of one ) which I'd ideally like to replace with normal ones, and pedals, for $75. I gave the pedals to a friend, but felt it was a pretty good price for a pair of nice shoes with cleats. You might find a deal there ... and you might prefer the cleats that let you twist right, left, or just pull back.

I work making medical software, on the famously lax West Coast. So I took my oldest shoes that needed replacing anyway, and left them under my desk at work. I change my shoes at some point after I get in, before the first meeting, and then again before I leave for the day. They're out of sight, but they're also here waiting to get me out of the stiff ones. On the other hand, I've got a pair of Keen Commuters, which are a bit less powerful ( because they don't grip your foot as tightly, so you can't apply as much force pulling upward ), but good for swimming and wading over rocky lake beds. These are a lore more comfortable to bike in, while the Pearl Izumis I've got are a lot more powerful, but at the expense of off-the-bike comfort.

The M520s that bhop pointed out are the ones I got on CL, and gave away. They'd probably be much better than the A520s I have, for getting used to the system. I already got used to the one-sided ones, so stayed with them. Honestly, a month later, it won't matter at all, so don't get hung up on this part of the question.