55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy Biker
I think you are my new hero. I just turned 43. Got my first road bike last month (go Bianchi Giro). Put 330 miles on it so for. You give me great encouragement. I just assumed you were a bike pro, or natural at least. I have something to look forward to.

Steve
-It's never to late to get started.
Thanks Steve for the kind words.

I bet I'm not alone on this forum in that I grew up playing sports and was pretty good at most things I took up. Baseball, Football, fencing, golf....high school, college etc.

In my late 20's, I realized that I never had truly peaked at any one sport - I had never given the effort necessary. Team sports were out and I needed something I could do on my own. Cycling was a natural and the more I rode, the more I got hooked. That was era 1. Era 2 is different as I am now 15 years older - meaning it's not so much about the physical side of it as it is about the overall experience. I'm not nearly as strong as I was 15 years ago, but I'm a better rider anyway. I train and eat better and ride a lot smarter. Plus I'm 15 pounds lighter.

I know several people with similar stories - look at the Masters(45+) category - they are my inspiration. I only wish I had the drive of someone like my58vw 25 years ago.

Plus, it's freakin' fun.

55/Rad