Old 07-24-10, 07:30 PM
'47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No offense taken, WeakLink. Should have titled this thread, "I Broke My A** Cycling". The tires I'm referencing are a little off mainstream....my pre-crash favorites are Conti 4000's.

I inherited a 12 year old minimalist walker with 4 inch plastic wheels. Not so good for bumping along in parking lots. Aluminum tubing, as we frame material experts know, transmits every rattle and vibration. Sitting in the line-up waiting for the CT scanner I was able to compare walkers like I used to compare bikes. Think of mine as an alu Schwinn Varsity. Others were far more OCP. My favorite walker was a metallic red aluminum with seat, English bike style brakelevers, and an embroidered single pannier ridden by a blue haired lady. Her kit was complete except for helmet.

A whole new world has opened since I traded the DeRosa for a walker. Puttering along at the supermarket yesterday I passed a sweet little old lady with flower print dress, massive owlish glasses, riding a basic walker like mine (except mine has no sliced tennis ball no-skid devices). She gave me a knowing smile, roadie to roadie, and an octogenerian equivalent of a thumbs up far more friendly than many cyclists I meet. I've joined the brother and sisterhood of the walker! When my time comes, as it may for us all, I'm going for a custom titanium. Skip the embroidered seat bag.

My own "flip" aside, WeakLink, I miss the real road these sweet cool mornings...but only for 6 more weeks I hope.

Last edited by '47; 07-24-10 at 07:36 PM.