spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by eerriicc
Thanks guys - yeah, I guess the problem is that I don't know who to call or where to check about prices because beyond the usual options like fedex and ups I don't really know what there is. I was sort of considering picking it up on my next trip to France, but I don't know when that will be and with Delta (I have relatives who were employees, so basically the only airline I fly) shipping costs for a bike international are 300$ - so still not a great price. I have heard rumors about different shipping options by sea that takes upwards of a few months, but I don't really know much about it.
And it is all what the shipper is willing to do. Fedex is easy can't asy the same or not to have the bike shipped in a container.

What about driving to a neighboring city for a flight on a different airline? You could fly there but then you would have two problems. The first being that the first carrier is only responsible for getting you to the other city and not Europe. If something happened to the connection you would be stuck. The problem is that you might lose your savings on the way back. You would have a fee for the bike from Europe then again back to your home city.