View Single Post
Old 07-26-10, 07:02 AM
dygituljunky

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to Georgia law, ebikes are considered to be bikes if they meet all of the following conditions: the motor does not exceed 1000W, it has a permanent means to be powered by human power alone, it has no more than 3 wheels, and the motor cannot assist the rider to exceed 20 mph. Georgia law allows local jurisdictions to ban bicycles from a roadway with signage if a bike path is nearby but no provisions exist to allow local jurisdictions to ban ebikes from bike paths.

I live near a MUP in Atlanta and I use a combination of the MUP and streets to get back and forth to work. I currently do not own an ebike (but I hope to upgrade mine to an ebike or set up a new bike as an ebike). On my nearby MUP, 30 mph is safe along some stretches (straight segments with no driveway/street crossings), if you can manage it, and highly dangerous to you and others along other stretches (where I have to slow to near walking speed so that parents and pet owners can pull their wayward family members back to one side of the center line).

But it's all about being respectful to other users of the MUP and showing due regard for their safety. If ebikes come to be considered a menace, legislatures and local jurisdictions will likely start restricting ebike access to bike facilities ... and that's bad for all bikers.

Conclusion? Ride safely and politely (especially if you have an ebike).