Old 07-26-10, 07:13 AM
erdem

Bikes: trek fx 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
Sounds to me like it needs to be trued; the rim is likely fine except for being a little off in, as you said, "one point".
thank you. it is nice to hear this

Truing a wheel isn't that difficult as long as its not too far out of whack. Ideally you should use a truing stand, and there are a number of sites that will instruct you on how to build one, or you can purchase one online or from your LBS.
may you give some links to the sites about wheel building and truing etc.

Otherwise a wheel can be trued by turning the bike upside-down and using the brake pads as a guide for wheel trueness. Of course, you will need a proper spoke wrench before you can do anything.
as i learned 3.45mm spoke wrench size will be suitable (park tool red handle) for this job.

There are a number of tutorials out there; a decent one can be found at http://bicycletutor.com/. If you don't feel comfortable you can always have your LBS do it, and they will have all the necessary tools, like a truing stand and a spoke tension meter. Also, they will be able to tell you if your rim indeed does need replacement. If it's not too far out of true then my advice, FWIW, is to try it yourself. It's a valuable skill to learn.
i already started to learn adjusting my front and rear derailleurs from bicycle tutor and park tool web sites. i am very eager to learn bike mechanics and also wheels

but for now i don't plan to true wheels my self until i have necessary tools as you mentioned. truing stand, tension meter etc..

and also there are many books on the market about wheelbuilding but i don't know which will be suitable for newbies like me:

The Professional Guide to
Wheel Building

The Bicycle Wheel 3rd Edition

The Art of Wheelbuilding

You can even check for spoke tension by listening to the tone when plucked.
and also i may tune a violin by ear. hope this helps in adjusting spoke tension