55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cheg
How much of that was in a paceline? A friend and I did it in 13 1/2 hours line to line last year with about 40 miles in pacelines. This year I'm doing it on a tandem so we probably won't draft much.
Of the 206 miles, I'd estimate that 175 of it was in a large group where drafting was possible. Of course, I did my fair share of pulling as well.

Originally Posted by Ranger
Well, I don't believe that many of those who have replied here are average. Maybe they ride for fun and exercise but anyone averaging over 20 mph for a long ride is pretty fast. I am 36 and 6'2" 148 lbs. (down from 200) I consider myself in pretty good shape. Yet i haven't averaged over 20 mph on a ride on my road bike yet. Granted i have an entry level bike, the temps have been near freezing on every ride (i ride at dawn), and there has been a LOT of wind, but I don't expect to be a LOT faster when the weather warms up. .
Ranger - don't understimate yourself or the gains to be had with good weather. Are you riding alone? Get out into some group rides and the dynamics change - expect to push and be pushed a bit more than on a solo ride.

55/Rad