View Single Post
Old 07-27-10, 11:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by GiantDefyGuy
Anyway, she started laughing and said that whenever she sees someone riding their bike and they're obviously on their way to work, she automatically assumes that they are riding because they can't drive for one reason or another. And those reasons are because they either got a DWI and got their license taken away, or because they can't afford a car due to serious financial issues. Basically, no one would just ride their bike because they WANT to. (well, except for that guy at her office that rides his bike in every day.....but he's "serious.")
Some of my coworkers may have thought that at first ... but then 5 pm rolls around, and they start checking the traffic web cams and complaining about how long it's going to take them to get home. This is when I like to rub it in: "What a gorgeous, sunny day. It's going to be a great ride. I might take the long way home and go swimming." People who hear this are thinking about stop-and-go traffic on the freeway, and at least a few of them will have the heat going so as not to overheat their engines. After reading this thread, I might follow my taunts up with "Maybe you should get a DWI so you can ride a bike to work?"

Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
I've had a few people ask if I needed a lift in their massive pickup trucks (oh, the irony!) but I politely told them I was only 10 miles or so from home, I didn't need a ride. The looks on their faces: priceless.
The only time anything like that has happened to me, has been in my kayak. If you have a mind for safety and practice capsizing your boat in the summer, to make sure you're able to do a self-rescue, you'll be surrounded by motor boats offering to help you back in, and even to tow you from the docks. You have to be able to get back in your own boat pretty quickly to shut them up. But I don't get the same treatment on the bike.