View Single Post
Old 07-29-10, 12:33 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Erick L

Do you have photos of your setup? How much weight do you think it can handle? I put a photo backpack on the platform, which can weigh 7 pounds, plus the front panniers. Thanks
no photo but it's pretty straightforward, the small back of the rack is nearly parallel with the brake cable and 3/4" forward of it, the platform is level and I used p-clamps that were slightly larger than strut because the angle of the p-clamp and the strut were a few degrees off. The first time I installed it I used p-clamps that were the exact size of the strut but it made the front end somewhat stiff. In my paranoia I wondered if hard jarring (riding off curbs) could weaken the cantilever bosses but I'm guessing not as much as racks that put their weight on the bosses. I took it off and road without for 1/2 yr. then re-installed it with larger p-clamps and that seemed to allow for some vertical movement in the forkblades. Again this may all be in my head. It's absolutely solid side to side and fore/aft. I'd feel comfortable putting more on it than I'd want on the front of the bike, 25lbs? The support is all vertical to the eyelets without any loading on the bosses.
The platform isn't long enough to mount Ortlieb panniers to comfortably and the tubing is too narrow. My intention is to use it for six pack sized loads, compression sack, or pannier-less front loads using two 13liter dry bags clicked together at the closure buckles then layed over the rack and strapped on the sides vertically. If the bags weren't stuffed enough to keep from from falling between the vertical struts I'd lash some 1/8" polyester line between the struts.

Last edited by LeeG; 07-29-10 at 12:37 AM.