Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rjajr
I only have a few requirements for the bike:

1. I do not want to build a bike, so I need at least a near-ready-to-ride bike;
2. It must have a Rohloff Speedhub;
3. It must have a SON dynamo, probably with an Edelux or E3 light, but I am open to suggestions here; the selection of light is very important to me because I will be riding as much at night as in the daytime, maybe more;
4. I want to use 700 wheels.
5. I have a back problem, and so I ride more upright now than when I was younger, so I will need a bike where the handlebar height can be adjsted (or replaced) 6 inches above the seat. I only mention this because I have had to retrofit all of my existing bikes over the years and it has been a real headache for me.
6. I have two carry kits: one is 41 pounds for local trips, and the other is 75 pounds for longer trips. This weight does not include tent, poles and sleeping bag.
Here are a few of my random thoughts.

2, 3. The Rohloff Speedhub sounds like something nice, but for myself, I wouldn't necessarily make it a requirement. I'd list it as something very nice to have, but there may be other solutions to consider. The dynamo also may or may not be the best option for night riding. For myself, I'd prefer a good, bright system with some sort of rechargeable battery pack. However, there's nothing wrong with the dynamo if that's what you want. In the end, it's your choice. For me, I'd list the dynamo hub as a feature on the wish list, not as a deal breaker.

5. Your back problem will be an issue in finding the right bike for you. Talk to your doctor about what you want to do and ask him the important questions about how the bike should be fit. It's better if you can talk with a chiropractor or a doctor who treats athletes or specializes in sports medicine. The doctor or chiropractor may have some unorthodox ideas, but if they work, then you're going to be in great shape for the tours. Then, work with the bike shop. There are some incredibly creative bike mechanics out there and they can do wonders in making a bike work for you.