Old 07-30-10, 10:26 AM
rruff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Used up one of my bonus lives yesterday...

Got hit by a truck from behind on the highway, and can't believe how little damage was done. They always say that people who ride bikes a lot have weak bones in their lower bodies (especially old guys like me), but they took a bunch of x-rays and didn't find anything. The sensation when I got hit was like a brick wall slamming into me at high speed. I knew what had happened and didn't know if I'd be alive when I hit the ground. Luckily I landed in tall grass, so all the damage happened in the initial impact. I was fully conscious... didn't hit my head hard. I thought for sure my left pelvis and leg would be broken. Figured I probably shouldn't try to move just to be on the safe side. First thing I did was call my wife and tell her where I was, because I didn't know if the guy would stop and didn't know how long it would be before someone noticed me laying there (I was in a rural area). I wanted to make sure somebody knew in case I passed out . The driver did come back around though and called an ambulance, and some other people stopped and put some blankets on me... it was raining a little and ~60 degrees.

It didn't seem like he made any evasive maneuvers and didn't put on the brakes... he didn't know I was there until he hit me. I was wearing a bright green and orange jersey, and the visibility was pretty good, so I'm not sure what he was doing. He didn't even know what part of his truck or trailer might have hit me. I had a piece of orange plastic stuck in my hip though, so there should be some corresponding damage on the truck.

He was very apologetic and was obviously torn up about it, and didn't try to make excuses... nice guy. He also looked like someone who would be well insured...

The relative speed was at least 30mph and it seemed like a pretty solid hit on my left hip, and then my left arm and lower leg. There is a big bruise on the inside of my left knee that probably corresponds to the busted top tube on the bike. I really can't believe I didn't break anything. The most worrisome issue is a sharp pain in my lower back when I move... but I can hobble around well enough. I keep thinking that I've been more debilitated than this when I've had a bad back spasm, but this will probably take a lot longer to heal. I'm feeling pretty sore all over the left side of my body, but also super lucky at the moment... it could have been a lot worse.