View Single Post
Old 07-30-10, 01:16 PM
OrionKhan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
I'm not. With a few exceptions people made their decisions totallly based on which riders they like or dislike, nothing else.

Stage 3 is s total non-issue, save to illustrate the main dividing line.

Was the race on before the incident.

Stage 3 is a slam dunk, THE RACE WAS ON.

Stage 2 is an interesting case. The splits were caused by a crash involving a camera bike. One could argue that the race was on at the time of the crash, there were riders off the front. Riders could feel very differently about this.

GC contenders (for Yellow in Paris) were pretty much not racing before the crash.
GC contenders in terms of Yellow right now arguably were.
Riders concerned about a stage win and sprint points definatly were.

One huge factor was that the current Yellow Jersey was in the first large group, it seems no long term contenders were. AC was in the second group and AS in the third. When Cancellera slowed his group he lost Yellow.

Arguing points, but once the first large group waited it weas set, wait until all the contenders are there.

Stage 15 comes down to one decision, was the race on? There is room for disagreement here. BUT that very room makes the idea that the actions of any rider was unsporting unsupportable. Looking at just the isolated footage starting with the attack by AS one could decide that the race was borderline as to On or not. Looking at more extensive coverage before that point it gets harder to take that position.

I can respect someone who thinks AC should have waited. at least momentarilly. I can not respect someone who thinks he should have waited irrespective of what Sanchez and Mencolov did. I can not respect anyone who thinks the actions of any of the 3 was unsporting.
In my mind there was no doubt that the race was on. Mountain stage only the very elite contenders left. Deep into the overall race. They were on the last big climb. Andy Schleck's attack was no sorting out. He went out to drop everyone. Clearly, Andy thought the race was on right up until he dropped his chain. I don't see how anyone could not view it as "race on."