In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ampersand87
Hey everyone,

I recently had a bunch of car trouble and have decided that I will do my primary commuting by bicycle. I have been riding for around a year, and have done commutes of about thirty-five miles round-trip. I looked at the "New Commuters" thread and jotted down some good tips on working to improve my commute.

I do have some basic questions:

I will be storing my bike (mid 80s Bianchi Strada LX) inside my house when not in use, if it sits for say a month of so, can any kind of extreme damage occur or just basic things such as a possible low tire and some re-greasing? One month? That shouldn't hurt all

Besides hydration, what can help in fighting against heat stroke, or any other heat related physical issues? Ride slower so your heart rate isn't in the Red Zone.

I will be commuting anywhere between three to five days a week at about twenty-five to thirty five miles round-trip, is there any website or another thread that may have a checklist of basic maintenance procedures? For example, every 5,000 miles you should do such and such. I believe about 10% of YouTube is filled with videos like "How to fix your bottom bracket" or "Covering the ABCs before you start your ride." You should certainly check YouTube.

I look forward to getting to know this community and happy commuting to all!
Responses in bold. Welcome to the world of bike commuting.