View Single Post
Old 05-02-05, 12:12 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Katzman
To add another generalization to your observations, I notice that many single bike riders are ill prepared for the typical mechanical breakdowns that eventually happen on the road. While most carry a spare tube and a mini pump, and maybe tire levers, I've been shocked to find that many do not. Many single riders do not know how to adjust anything on their bikes and many cannot even repair their own flats.

Most tandem teams that I have ridden with carry, multi-type tools, extra spokes, tires, several tubes, patch kits, tire boots, more efficient pumps, spare cables, chain repair links, chain tools and sometimes even spoke wrenches. I almost forgot to mention the most important item that is carried - the know-how to use the above items. I suspect that the added road saavy that comes with extra years of experience, prompts tandemists to be more self sufficient.
Also.... when tandeming, the person you would most likely call to come to fetch you should your bike break down is already on the bike with you........