View Single Post
Old 08-01-10, 10:57 AM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not likely to get into a ride today. Feeling lazy and going to a festival in the city this afternoon. However, I did do 54 miles yesterday morning and have some nice year to date averages.

I've not been posting these rides because of the time it takes to share all the garmin downloaded data across three different programs and distraction from le tour. That and out of respect for those that don't ride like I do. I would like to commend everyone on how consistant they have or are becoming and I encourage you to keep up the good work.

As someone that rides a "fast" road bike in a group, more often than not, I would like to address a few things I've seen in recent posts. There is little excuse for one to not say "Hi" or otherwise announce themselves when overtaking another cyclist. That being said, the state of Florida does require the use of a bell or horn for this purpose while riding on trails and sidewalks. It is also bad form and dangerous to not "skinny up" or ride single file on a MUP with oncoming traffic.

In Florida, the law states that cyclists may ride "no more than two abreast," there is nothing that says single file. Untill the new highway safety bill takes effect, next month I think, that is. So then, riding two abreast can mean four abreast on a roadway with a bicycle lane where two can ride in the bike lane and two in the travel lane. So there is no reason to worry about others passing and going out into the travel lane, its still legal and relatively safe to do so. Assert your right to the roadand hold your position. However its bad form to pass without someone, anyone, saying something cordial. This is what gives "roadies" a snobish reputation, which they often think of as just being "serious."

I'd like to say good luck to all participating in the various MS rides, I encourage you to continue riding all year round, if you can. Please do get involved with your local clubs, do some other organized rides both training types and century rides.

Sorry, enough of that borderline rant. Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers, that wasn't my intention.

Here is a little of my averages:
this week 233 miles, 13.5 hours, 17 avg mph
this mth 1128 miles, 64 hours, 17.7 avg mph
YTD 6252 miles, 348 hours, 18 avg mph
YTD avg miles: 895.5 a month, 206 a week, 29.5 day