View Single Post
Old 08-03-10, 08:47 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Some things I would have tried to do better keeping in mind 20-20 hindsight: I wouldn't have let the guy in green get position on me and push me off my line. Get your bars in front of his and make him go around behind you. I would try to ride the gaps between wheels rather than sitting right behind wheels. Helps with seeing what's going on around you and is a good way to keep position; you aren't as vulnerable to crossing wheels in that position and nobody can get position on you to move you off your line. I think just in general, you gave away position too easily. Basically, umd, I think you just let yourself get pushed around too much in that sprint. But again, this is just hindsight opinion, and you know exactly how much that is worth. The first thing I noticed actually is I am glad I am a bigger guy than you in a sprint (5' 11", 58cm frame - not so happy with it when climbing a hill). I can see over most people, even in the drops.
Thanks Brian, I agree with your analysis. I didn't want to be one of the jokers sprinting for 20th place so I wasn't agressively defending my position, but once everyone started jamming I didn't want to be the guy moving backwards through them either.