View Single Post
Old 08-04-10, 08:18 AM
obie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest a recon trip. Ride the stage courses, get your logistics squared away while you're there(hotel, meals, spas -anything you may need) and get as much knowledge as you can from people who have done the event. This is called a 'Campaign' in simple terms. You need the miles on the bike, true. But, I find doing the course, clearing all the details away far ahead of the ride make things go easier.

I threw in for Everest Challenge this year. Far beyond my abilities but, a challenge I need to step beyond where I'm at now. Committing to an event like you have and, importantly, throwing this all on-line in a big forum like BF, shows something about yourself beyond the usual chatter about what you did last weekend on your club ride. You'll get encouragement from the guys who've done it and can steer you in the right direction - invaluable coaching that wont cost a cent.

Ride the course - it's a key part of the preparation. Read pro training diaries - they put the miles in on the courses they're going to race. You need to know when you'll be hurting and when you can gather yourself back and relax. I've done half the recon of Everest and will finish the rest in two weeks. Make the investment - you'll feel more focused on what you have ahead of you. Enjoy yourself and good luck!

Last edited by obie; 08-04-10 at 08:26 AM.