Old 08-04-10, 01:00 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hate to bring up a dead thread, but I need motorcycle advice & I trust the folks on this website more than anywhere else on the web.

My dreams of owning a motorcycle might be coming to fruition sooner than expected. It started out as an idea to get a little 150cc scooter for zipping around town, & then slowly but surely I realized I could get a much larger & more practical bike (500cc) for a similar price & the same insurance rate. So I've set my mind on a 500cc. Small enough to be user friendly to a new biker, but powerful enough to keep me satisfied with the power for a while & give me a decent learning curve. So my question is: What 500cc bike would y'all recommend? So far I've been considering the Buell Blast, Kawasaki Vulcan 500, or something similar. I would prefer a more upright positioned bike like the Blast, but I'd take a cruiser over a sport bike for insurance reasons ($103/year liability for a 19 year old with a DUI...WHAT?!). Just looking for advice on what's fun & user-friendly, & most importantly--good on gas! It would be my only personal mode of transportation, though I have a mom with an Vue & step-dad with a Ranger that I live with so I'd still be able to get to the trails when necessary. Any & all advice is welcome.

Note: Before I buy anything, I'm taking the beginners training course at my local Harley dealership & after that, an MSF course. I'm not just some dumb kid looking for a fun way to kill myself, I just can't afford $1500/year liability for a truck that gets 18mpg when I don't even have a job. Also I've always wanted a motorcycle, & what better time than the present to make a dream come true?

Last edited by samburger; 08-04-10 at 01:05 PM.