Old 08-05-10, 11:53 AM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just to follow up on yesterday's events - I took the bike on a 25 km ride today and the belt drive worked flawlessly. This bike is so nice compared to my other two that I know I'm gonna have a hard time riding them. I might just keep the MTB for family cruises and a backup bike, but I'm considering putting the Schwinn on CL and using the funds for more accessories (like a new, matching helmet... among other goodies)! Then again, I'm loathe to part with it since it provided me with countless kms of riding pleasure. Besides, I've put too much love and sweat (not to mention money) into it to just let it go.

Unfortunately, not everyone had such a great riding experience today: Approaching downtown on a MUP I came around a corner and saw that the way was blocked by a large vehicle. Before I could even think, "What the f-," I realized it was an ambulance. I came upon a trio of middle-aged gentlemen all dressed in full kit, one of whom was being attended to by paramedics while the others looked on with obvious concern. One of the riders said that his comrade had landed on his head, and the injured rider declared that the pain was centered in his back. I watched as the EMTs loaded him onto the gurney before carefully carrying on, mindful of my speed and the line I was holding.

Reminiscing upon my own accident (not bike-related) in 2006, which left me with a fractured spine, I couldn't help but think of this poor rider and the effect this might potentially have on him and his family. It's a dangerous world out there, and here we are trying to ride bicycles through it.

Here's to wishing the injured rider a speedy recovery, and all my fellow cyclists a safe ride today and in the future. Cheers! BTW - that's root beer in my mug; I'm a teetotaler!