Old 08-05-10, 02:27 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BianchiDave
Today while I was out on patrol I rolled up on a motorist who clearly was distraught. It was a 22 year old female that couldn’t have weighed more than 120 pounds. She was standing on the curb next to her vehicle which was in the roadway with its hazard lights on. I rode up next to her and said “did your car break down?” She replied “yes and my mechanic is on his way, it won’t be long Sir I promise.”
I thought to myself, that’s weird response, why is she so quick to tell me someone was on their way to take care of the car? I got of my bike and said “don’t worry about it, stuff like this happens.” She smiled and said thank you Officer for helping. So at this time I’m thinking “wow” either this is one polite person or something spooked her.
Where her car was stalled was just over a set of railroad tracks (about 1 car length) on a very busy street. Before I even made contact with her I quickly looked for possible safety hazard for other vehicles, pedestrians and her but realized that she pulled over as far as she could along the curb which did allow other vehicles clear access to go around. To further make the area safe I activated my lights (red and blues) on my bike and parked it behind her car.

So after asking the normal question, what happen? She said her car has been acting up and was concerned something like this might happen; again she apologized to me and again thanked me for stopping and helping. I told her its ok stuff like this happens. What she said next shocked the heck out of me and also pissed me the “blank” off.
“I wish the other bikers would know that also.” Confused I asked, what do you mean? She said just before you got here 3 separate bikers yelled at me telling me to get off the bike path. She said the last one went as far too stop after passing her and screamed “get of the f-ing bike path idiot.”
Now note I checked the area for safety concerns as I rolled up and seen “no issues.”
The front of her vehicle was crossing less than 3 feet of an entrance to a bike path that runs parallel to the cross rode her vehicle was stalled on. There was still over 3 feet of access to the path.

Stunned I asked her “is this why you’re upset?” She said “yes, I didn’t think people would be this rude and vulgar.” She also added “when the person stopped and started yelling along with cursing at me I thought I was really doing something wrong.” I told her don’t worry about it and that I’ll stick around until the mechanic arrives.
I must admit I was really hoping for another cyclist to be a moron while I was there.

I understand riding defensively but really are some of us that ignorant to lose common sense just because someone is not riding a bike?

So I did the best thing I could do, I called in for some assistance and we blocked everything while we pushed the vehicle about 50 yards (very slowly.)
Dave,

I don't know how many times that I've been the only one to stop and offer to help someone who's car has broken down. And the irony is that I'm the one who is on a bike not driving another car. You'd think that motorists would be willing to help each other out, but they keep going.

Not too long ago when I had an appointment out at Bay Pines, there were three people on two bikes acting like jerks. Weaving all over the road, riding in the wrong lane, etc. I passed them and continued to ride in front of them when I noticed a car behind them having a hard time getting around them. We both ended up stopping at the same stop light and I indicated for her to lower her passenger side window and apologized to her for their behavior.

I did it not for the moron's sake but to let the woman know that not all cyclists are like the three morons who caused her problems.

Also I can't remember if it was the same day or another trip to Bay Pines but on my way home on 30th Ave. N. there was a car that was parked (not broken down or anything no flashing lights) in the bike lane.

Last edited by Digital_Cowboy; 08-05-10 at 02:32 PM.