Old 08-06-10, 01:03 AM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you find yourself working on bikes or shopping for bike needs so much that you never have time to ride, you know you have too many.
Seriously, when I first started with all this in college, I had two bikes, a dept store cruiser and a junker '80s Schwinn. That pitiful stable was more than enough to qualify me as a "bike nerd" amongst my roommates and friends. When I moved in briefly with a boyfriend who was also a bike freak, we had about 6-7 bikes between us, four of them mine. After that I had a studio for awhile and at one point had 6 bikes in there, the same number I have now that I have a small house to myself. It was too much in the studio to have 6, I had bikes leaning up everywhere. In the house, it works alright, though it'll work better once I have access to the garage (still in the process of remodeling practically half the property).
I haven't bought a bike in almost 3 months; I still look every day, but now I'm content to sit and wait for a good deal, and I'm not (really) itching for a project. I am still looking for a touring bike, though I'm torn on whether I really need one. It's probably not a good sign that I still look every day...
That's a good tip about the kittens vs. bike saddles. The fun part of having my cat around when I work on my bikes is when I have to change the cables and he's chasing the ends all over the floor! Or having him bat parts and tools around when they're on the floor. He hasn't done too much damage though.