Old 08-06-10, 11:31 AM
buck-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverwolf
Look, stop screwing with the OP so much. You (and I) might not agree with his "end of the world" thing (and my personal view on this is not giving a f*ck what happens in that respect) but there are many other situations that "survival" type equipment is useful. I often (though less now, living in the city) liked to go outside to hike, camp, etc and usually a bike allowed me to travel further than walking for that purpose. Having a good, well-built, off-road capable and low-maintenance bike was a necessity for doing so without worrying every time I went through some mud or accidentally had the bike drop/hit something/etc.

Also, the basics of the "apocalypse" survival kit are very useful in real situations, such as the aforementioned camping and hiking, generally anywhere where the comforts of civilisation are not immediately accessible, and yes in the event of a regional disaster such as a hurricane. And finally, the extreme basics of "survival kits" are useful even in the city. Whenever I ride, I carry with me a bag that contains a small but versatile folding knife, a poncho, an LED flashlight, and a tiny basic first aid kit. All have come in handy regularly, the knife being the most useful tool there is, period.

Regardless, what I'm saying is cut the OP some slack; just because we don't agree with the whole "post-apocalypse" survival method, there are plenty of other uses for the type of kit (meaning stuff) he's asking for and therefore it is a legit question.
Honestly, the advice I gave came from years of commuting in the wisconsin winter- There is nothing worse than having the pawls in your hub freeze up mid intersection, or to have your rear brake cable freeze up...

I still say 26" unsuspended Mtn bike. There are spare parts everywhere- tires and wheels are easy to come by, probably easier than any other wheel. Parts are similarly easy to come by and they're flexible- you can run them geared, ungeared, with cantis or v's or discs or any combination thereof, they're reasonably comfortable and they are extremely hard to break. If you can find one with non-indexed thumbshifters, you can use it with almost any 26" wheel ever made.

A hinged bike like a montague paratrooper is just going to have more complications to rust.

Or again, a pre-war schwinn cruiser. nigh-unbreakable.