View Single Post
Old 08-07-10, 10:22 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rant about Serafas Brake pads.....

so i needed a set of replacement pads for my Bianchi. I picked up a set of serfas pads at my lbs for about 15 bucks give or take. The sad part is that was all they carried. They seemed to work well dry...at least better than my old worn pads.

Today i rode 40 miles in my brand new verdizeen SE (sp?) tires in the pouring rain. Granted the stopping power of the pads was completely worthless. It was wet. I get that.

So.....i start to notice that the white labels are turning black on my sidewalls as if they are covered in a heavy grease. I stop.....find out that my entire rim braking surface is covered with this black greasy goop. It si running down my fork legs......up on my downtube.....all over my spokes and completely covering my new tires.

Looks like the pads just completely broke down the instant they got wet and proceeded to gunk up the entire wheel, frame and fork.

what a pita!

Has anyone ever seen this happen? I figured these things are rubber just like all other pads. I guess i was wrong and they are made out of satans butter perhaps?

WEll the rest of my day will consist of cleaning everything with Rubbing alcohol and likely spending another $20 or so on better pads at a different shop.

These wheels are just your standard older 6 speed araya 700c aluminum rims. Anyone have any recomendations on replacement pads?