View Single Post
Old 08-07-10, 02:25 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baston View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I appreciate that branded parts have a reputation to upkeep and this reputation can be used to help evaluate quality and reliability but I'm a firm believer in the fact that just because its unbranded doesn't mean its not as good as its branded counter-part! For instance, I don't think there is much difference between a market leading branded tin of baked beans and a tin of the local super market's own brand, except the label that the distributor puts on them! With regards to bikes, noone really knows if branded manufacturers are producing their parts in factories of equal standing as factories who are making unbranded parts.

The point I'm making is that I'm not too fussed about who or who doesn't make the components just whether or not they work at the end of the day; and if anyone has an experience with the bikes they produce at all.
But it does make the difference, you can go as low as $ 250 for a Vilano and get some components that are name brand, that may or may not be the greatest quality, then you can get a BD internet bike for $ 280-350 and wind up with low end name brand Shimano or Sugino components, then you can go $ 400-650, $ 650-875 and at the end of the day each progressive price point, we all have to figure we're getting something for that. If the State Bike = a Republic for components then you can save a few bucks with a BD bike. Anyway, the State website doesn't indicate components, so when I pull the trigger on $ 430 purchase, imagine the look on my face when I get it and am not satisfied. The hassle to send it back, maybe another on-line vendor sells the same bike for $ 130+ less ? Now all of a sudden, $ 130+ more for a State bike isn't free FedEx shipping is it ?

Last edited by fuji86; 08-07-10 at 02:28 PM.