View Single Post
Old 08-08-10, 11:25 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by j mazz
yah, yah, yah, don't cross chain - I say, then why is it there? I want to get down the street as fast as possible not do calculations in my head, I don't even want to look down. What chain am I on, how many teeth, let's see, if I shift now, what ratio will I be in? will I have to up or downshift from there?, etc. etc. easier to just stay in that ring and make the quicker shifts.
To a point, yeah, it's easier. I don't bother calculating ratios, though, or even going through a routine like, "Okay, if I'm in my 34-13 now, then I shift to the 50, I should shift to the 16... or was it the 17?..."

Generally, if you shift about three cogs at the same time you shift the front, your cadence will be the same, or at least close enough. Push the RD lever through a full sweep when you shift the FD to the big ring, and click it down a few times when going the other way. No need to count teeth during a ride.

Besides, I use the big ring for going fast, and the small ring for noodling around. Keeps things easier that way.

I finished a 30 miler this morning... annoying to have it rub, nobody else on my group ride seems to have this iisue, Bianchi, Felt, Scott. Switching from the small to big ring is not clean and quick on the Rival either. Just not a big fan of it, debated getting the 105 group... woulda, shoulda, coulda.
I'm tempted to recommend getting a 105 crank. I don't like Sram/Truvativ cranks anymore. Wait for it to crap out and ask your LBS to use warranty credit and switch it to Shimano so you don't have to worry about it again.