Old 08-08-10, 12:45 PM
Howzit
Big Blade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j mazz
It was dropping the chain on the downshift from the big ring to the little ring. Always at the worst time.

Took it back for the 200 mile checkup and the LBS tells me it"s the nature of the beast. Adjusted out to the max and shouldn't drop the chain anymore but the rub is "normal" for that setup. I have a 20 year old Shimano that is whisper quiet and never dropped the chain or rubs against the FD. Granted it has adjustments that can move it if it did.

I just don't think Cannondale would sell a setup that rubbed "normally"
Unfortunately this IS the nature of SRAM. Its crap, its useless. I had a conversation with a guy who has owned a bike shop for over 30 years, and I asked him as he was closing shop, i pulled him up close and asked what he really thought of the 3 groupos, shimano, campy and sram. I assured him no other Americans where around so he could be honest with me. He promptly told me that Sram is the most useless peice of junk he has ever seen. I asked him why. He told me on taking apart sram stuff, you quickly see its crude, low quality parts that make it what it is. He said Shimano is just far more sophisticated, better built and just is the real deal. Campy he said was ok, pretty soild too. I agree with him exactly.

This is not the first time i hear people say dropping the chain or rubbing is NORMAL. Sram seems to believe this to be the case, and so does everyone who owns sram. My advise would be to go onto ebay, and get a new set of Dura Ace or Ultegra and be done with it. You can get last year's models online for real cheap, brand new in the box. You can even build it yourself and never have any rubbing or chain dropping issues with shimano old friend.
Now, of course everyone is going to chime in here who owns sram and defend it to the death, but i think by now you realize the realities of sram

Originally Posted by j mazz
Anyone else experience this?
Yes, Andy Schleck this year in the Tour De France, who ironically lost the tour by 39 seconds in the end, the exact time he lost the stage when his sram dropped the chain when he attacked..... think about that one. His chain skipped gear too a couple of times in the final TT as well, so there you have it....

You need not worry, it IS normal for chain rub and chain dropping with sram... either you except it and live with it, or just get shimano and be done with it.