View Single Post
Old 08-08-10, 05:30 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhdavis1978
I'm a bit dubious of the claim that eating a Melaleuca bar blocks lactic acid build up, seeing that lactic acid build up is a by product of anaerobic respiration. Anaerobic metabolism occurs when you don't have sufficient oxygen in your blood to support all of the energy requirements that you are demanding of your muscles. I don't know how consuming a Melaleuca bar (or anything for that matter) would increase the flow of oxygen into your blood, thereby preventing your body from entering into anaerobic respiration, or bringing you back from a anaerobic state to an aerobic state.

Except for the fact, that maybe you have to get off your bike to eat the bar, at which point your breathing can catch up with you. But otherwise it sounds like a lot of marketing hogwash. Or perhaps alternately, unless 'eating a Melaleuca bar' is some sort of new hip euphemism for riding around with an oxygen tank on your back and a mask on your face.
I am not sure, but they really work. They have several patents on them, and I've been using them for years with great results. It also is designed to make you burn fat for fuel, you can basically ride on an empty stomach. Once you drink or eat anything with sugar though, it cancels out the access bar. The lactic acid this is a side effect that is pretty awesome. I started using them years ago to fight arm pump when I raced moto-x. I started using them again while cycling. They work great. I was stranded out in the sticks a few weeks back, and ran out of water. Had to buy a soda from a pop machine instead. 5 miles later, the access bar was turned off, and all my muscles were cramping, even my arms. That hadn't happened all year until that point. Don't take my word for it though try some for yourself. Of do some research on them. They have been around for about 15 years, and there is no other product in the world like them.