View Single Post
Old 05-03-05, 06:21 PM
trekets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Everyone likes to blame sprawl, but there are other, far more important reasons, including laziness and perceived risk. Having met all of their personal wishes for material goodies, affluent folks want to control any risk factor which could endanger their idyllic lifestyle. They don't see the harm they are doing by turning their kids into couch potatoes, but they can see the harm in having a kid get run over by a car.

In 1976, my wife and bought our first house in a fairly high-crime district of west-central Los Angeles. The community finally took a bit out of crime by taking back the streets, i.e., by encouraging residents to get out and walk or bike and to participate in both structured and informal Neighborhood Watch activities. Fortunately, I live and work in areas (Encinitas and Carlsbad) where motorists are very accustomed to seeing bicyclists, joggers, and dog-walkers.
I agree with much of what you say, but sprawl has a lot to do with it. Where you currently live and where I live in New Jersey is much different than say the suburbs of Atlanta where McNeighborhoods are separated by 6 lane highways with box stores on both sides and no safe shoulders to bicycle on and in many cases no sidewalks to walk on.

I visit family down there frequently and you need a car to go anywhere.