View Single Post
Old 08-10-10, 08:15 PM
ClarkinHawaii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
disc brake ?

OK, so I just put a new Avid BB7 road disc brake on the front wheel of my touring bike. I attached the rotor that came with the brake onto a brand new wheel that I have just built (my first, from scratch!).

Naturally I was shocked and dismayed to note that the brake has almost no stopping power; but after reading up on the subject, I anticipate this situation will improve . So if I live through the break-in period, I'll be ok.

I also purchased a new Shimano sm-rt64 rotor (centerlock) to use with the front wheel of the other wheelset I use with this bike.

Here's the questions:

1. Since i will be using 2 different front wheels with 2 different front rotors, should I purchase another set of brake pads, and keep the 2 rotor/padsets separated? (from what I've read, it sounds like rotor and padset get married and introduction of another rotor screws things up)

2. What is the most effective brake padset for the Avid BB7 with 160 rotor? (to be used as an eventual replacement for the oem padset and, if recommended, the 2nd set of pads to be used only with the 2nd rotor)

Thank you!