Old 08-11-10, 01:03 AM
N0ISEhazard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle novice w/ questions & wondering if this Peugeot is a good buy

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Hello, I've recently purchased a DS bicycle (Schwinn Sidewinder) from craigslist because #1, I didn't know better, #2, I wanted something cheap in price, because I wasn't sure if I would be very passionate about using a bicycle for local commutes.

I posted a wanted ad on craigslist, looking to upgrade my bicycle on a limited budget and a seller has offered me this for $90. I was aiming to pay around $80.

Details
Brand: Peugeot
-Front basket
-Slim tires
-6 speed
-large comfort seat
-weight approx 25lbs, excellent condition (according to seller)
-CRO-MOLY steel frame
-2 hand brakes
-PICTURES attached

My questions:

Is this bicycle really worth $90? How rare is it? For a beginner, barely learning the parts and functions of a bicycle, would this bicycle be relatively easy to maintain? Will parts be hard to find and replace? I'm a DIY kind of girl, so I'm willing to learn, but I want to know if this is out of my league.

I live in a very hilly area (not SF, but quite hilly nonetheless). Would six gears be enough for this? I plan to ride it in Los Angeles city. Would I be able to add mountain bike tires to this in the future? (A lot of potholes in my area) Is this a cruiser or...? The seller keeps calling it a road bike.

In regards to bicycle theft, would this be a poor choice for a college student like myself?

I noticed that it has side pull brakes and I read somewhere on the web that those brakes aren't the best. Is this true?

I haven't gone to check out the bicycle yet. Any advice for things to check out? I already bought a bicycle with wobbly wheels, so I want to be careful.

I don't want to make the same rushed mistake I made in buying my 1st used bicycle.
Thank you VERY much in advance.

-Tiffany
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P2..jpg (50.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg
P..jpg (77.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by N0ISEhazard; 08-11-10 at 01:33 AM.