Old 08-11-10, 09:56 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First off, my hat is off to you~! My prayers that the weight stay off you have been said.

My story is different than yours, save that I still weigh more than you right now.

I have just over 500 miles on my "Comfort" bike - a 2010 Giant Suede DX. The only issue (like I am sure you have read) is at 300 miles I started popping spokes on the rear wheel. As my LBS knew my starting weight, and has been in the same building selling the Giant brand for 20+ years, he replaced *both* wheels with new 36 spoke "DT", etc... FREE
My Bicycle out the door with tax, fenders, upgraded tires, etc was right at $600 bucks.

A few thoughts if I may offer???

Most here believe in the formula of "N+1" Where "N" = the current number of bicycles you own. The idea is that, where you are today? And what will work best for you *today* most likely will NOT be what you want/need/drool over a year from now...

I hope to one day have a LHT - but last OCT, or, even now, I would not be happy or comfortable on a LHT. I fear if that were the only bicycle I owned, I may not have gotten anywhere near 500 miles on it to date (Quick back-story: had not ridden in roughly 30 yrs, eight knee surgeries, in pain MGNT, topped out at 409, health issues, heart issues, and more - found a DR willing to do a TKR - Total Knee Replacement with Recission - I came to BF asking the question, can A fat guy ride a bike, and can I find a bike I won't kill? After getting the answers, I had the TKR - the Suede is my reward - amazing life change for me - not much weight loss - but much better heart health, out of pain MGNT, and daily doing better, but I digress...)

My point I can not stress enough - do not buy your *dream* bike YET~! Rather, buy a starter bike. something that is *comfortable* to you right now, that when you look at it you want to ride...get 6-12 months of riding under your belt - see that you *will* ride most every day (regardless of 1 mile, or 40) - my first ride was some 400 feet. Then, once you know where your heart lies, buy or build that bike that will become your primary ride~!

Mine, someday, will be a Surly Long Haul Trucker, but, built as more of an upright riding position - possibly with 'trekking bars' on a higher stem? With my gut, while I *LOVE* drop bars, I simply can not ride that way anymore, and may never be able to do so - but I so love to ride~!

A few people to seek out are "Tom Stormcrowe" and "The Historian" - both have lost many, many pounds and have been riding for some time.

I talk a LOT - and am here viam post, PM, email, or cell anytime you'd like to chat...

Lastly, welcome to the herd

Last edited by Peter_C; 08-11-10 at 10:00 PM.